Associate professor Marinko Rade, M.Sc. Orth Med, PhD (Clinical medicine)
Born in Ljubljana (Slovenia) in 1982, lived in Rovinj (Croatia) until the completion of High School. Studied in Padova (Italy) and London (UK), Marinko Rade, M.Sc. in Orthopaedic Medicine, and PhD in Clinical Medicine (Physiatry) is currently the Director of “Prim. dr.Martin Horvat” Orthopaedic Hospital situated in Rovinj, Croatia, Post-doctoral researcher at Kuopio University Hospital – University of Eastern Finland (Finland) and Associate professor of Anatomy and Neuroscience at the Faculty of Medicine, J.J.Strossmayer University of Osijek (Croatia).
His special interest in the research field lies in the quantification and understanding of innate neural protective mechanisms with the final aim of constructing new effective diagnostic algorithms and effective rehabilitation and pharmacological therapies. He is leading lines of research both in electrophysiology and neuroradiology, is a voting member of the International Academy for Muscular/Musculoskeletal Medicine, scientific branch of the International Federation for Manual Musculoskeletal Medicine, and has been awarded by the “Young Scientist Award” by the Finnish Spine Society in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
Together with dr.Janne Pesonen, he is the „2018 Annual Scientific Award Winner”, awarded by the Finnish Society for Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine.
He is the only person been awarded twice with the “Young Spine Investigator Award” conferred by the top-ranked scientific journal Spine (Phila Pa 1976) – Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. He received the award both in 2014 and 2017.
The title of his Doctoral thesis is: “Between Neuroradiology and Neurophysiology: New Insights in Neural Mechanisms”
Dr.Rade’s Doctoral thesis can be visualized and downloaded at :
GRANTS AND AWARDS
1. October 2011: Winner of Finland’s Ministry of Social Affairs and Health EVO grant.
2. November 2011: Winner of the Bonus EVO grant 2011 of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine in Kuopio University Hospital.
3. October 2012: Winner of the Bonus EVO grant 2012 of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine in Kuopio University Hospital
4. November 2012: winner of the Finnish National VTR Grant for the Medical Research, for the following projects:
- Investigation on Neural Protective Selectivity and Verification of Neural Convergence Theory – Area of investigation: Clinical Neurophysiology
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Based Investigation on Neural Biomechanics in the Vertebral Canal; Aims and Possible Future Developments – Area of investigation: Clinical Radiology and Spinal research.
5. October 2013: “2013 Young Scientist Award” awarded by the Finnish Spine Society “Suomalainen Selkätutkimusseura ry”.
6. November 2013: winner of the PhD Grant from the University of Eastern Finland and Graduate School of Clinical Research in Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland.
7. June 2014: „ 2014 Spine Young Investigator Award“ awarded by the top-rated scientific journal Spine (Phila PA 1976).
8. October 2015: “Best Young Investigator Award”, awarded by the Finnish Spine Society “Suomalainen Selkätutkimusseura ry”.
9. October 2016: “Best Young Investigator Award”, awarded by the Finnish Spine Society “Suomalainen Selkätutkimusseura ry”.
10. June 2017: „ 2017 Spine Young Investigator Award“ awarded by the top-rated scientific journal Spine (Phila PA 1976).
11. January 2018: „Annual Scientific Award Winner”, awarded by the Finnish Society for Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine.
7. “Spine Young Investigator Award 2014″, awarded by the world leading scientific journal on orthopaedics and spinal pathologies Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Croatian: Mother language; fluent speaking and writing
- Italian: Mother language; fluent speaking and writing
- English: Fluent speaking and writing
- French: Good understanding, poor speaking and writing
- German: Fair understanding, poor speaking and writing